Two people are dead and two were taken to a hospital this afternoon after a shooting in northeast Denver.
Shortly after 2:10 p.m., officers were called to East 33rd Avenue and York Street after a report of shots fired, according to the Denver Police Department.
Police at the scene said two people were killed and two were transported.
Denver Police Department spokesman Detective John White said a group of people was hanging out on the street when two men approached and opened fire.
One of the men in the group died where he fell. Another man stumbled into a nearby business, where he died.
Two men were injured and taken to a hospital; White said it not appear that their injuries were life-threatening.
The two gunmen ran off, and police are going door to door in the area looking for them.
"There are quite a few potential witnesses that were out during the incident," White said. " We will do our best to speak to each and everyone of them."
The intersection of York Street and Bruce Randolph is closed off. There is a Royal Drug store there, a taco shop and a dry cleaners. Across the street, police are also canvassing Rocky Mountain Wellness Center East and the Mile-Hi Shoeshine store.
People gathered outside the police tape, some of them openly crying.
At one point, more than 100 neighbors and curious passersby had gathered.
Nearly two hours after the shooting, the body of a dead man lay uncovered in the bright afternoon sun and many of the numerous onlookers, some of them relatives of the victim, were upset.
"They don't have the decency ...," said Kevin Montgomery, 51, a local artist, pausing to take a deep breath. "This is sick. Talk about injustice!"
White said medical examiners and investigators are still examining the body and crime scene.
"If the investigators are still trying to piece together what happened they may not want the body covered," White said. "It's a crime where two people died."
One man ducked under the police tape and stood in the middle of the empty intersection, shouting "Who killed my brother?"
Police started to approach him, but onlookers quickly escorted the man out of the intersection and comforted him.
Taysheer Muhamed, who runs a small grocery around the corner, said he was in front of his store, enjoying the nice weather.
"I heard shooting, shooting, shooting," he said. "I went inside and called the police."
Muhamed said that just two weeks ago Rahim Ahidi, an Afghan refugee who helps him out at the grocery, was wounded during a robbery and later lost his kidney and half his liver. Ahidi has a wife and two children, Muhamed said.
"He left the war over there to come to a war over here,"Muhamed, who is an immigrant from Israel, said.
"This is a sad story," he said. " All we can do is pray to God, try make an honest living and then go home."
Ventura Rodriguez, 48, was a block away working on bicycles with a friend with the barrage of gunfire disrupted a fairly busy street scene, he said.
"Dang, Jerry, did you hear that," he yelled to his friend, as they both ducked for cover.
It was over quickly, but Rodriguez stayed out of sight until the police came.
He grew up here and he's watch the crime and violence grow as well.
"Back when I was growing up, we didn't have all this shooting," he said. "It's these kids. They listen to the wrong people. I've tried to keep my sons and nephews away from it. I tell them, 'Get a job. Nine dollars an hour is better than living like that.'"
Linda Taylor said she has lived in the neighborhood for 50 years.
"This is the worst I have ever seen it, these last few months," she said.