Saturday, September 15, 2012

B.B. King and the Tedeschi Trucks Band at Red Rocks...

I first heard of a place called Red Rocks when I was about twelve years old. I had recently discovered a band called U2 and was a fan of the album - U2 Live at Red Rocks. A few years later I actually saw the video of this concert - the scene was really beautiful - an amphitheater created by these very large rocks. I can still remember thinking that one day I would go to this special place - wherever it was!

Once I knew we were coming to Denver, going to a concert at Red Rocks was high on my bucket list  this year.

Last night Garry and I were lucky enough to finally go to Red Rocks where we watched an 86 year old  B.B. King perform. Before any concert at Red Rocks it is tradition to have some pre-concert drinks in the car park. Who are we to break with tradition?





We had the most fantastic seats - right in front of centre stage only four rows from the front! I really enjoyed B.B King's  'grand entrance' and the way he played the first song - straight through, without stopping for even a second!



I had seen B.B. King about 24 years ago in Sydney with U2, (which was awesome), however this show was incredible. He showed his humor as well as his boundless talent for both sharing his life experiences and making that guitar sing! Not bad for a man about to turn 87 years of age.








Our night of Blues continued when the Tedeschi Trucks Band began to play. We had never heard of this band, who was the headline act. I have since discovered that they won a Grammy for Best Blues Album for their debut album earlier this year.






The highlight was definitely going back stage and quickly meeting the man - B.B. himself. The Australian accent continues to be an amassing asset! I was walking passed the stage entrance, when the guard on the door to the backstage area overheard me talking and started up a conversation with me, one thing led to another and before I really knew what was happening I was whisked back stage.


I can't remember when I last saw Garry have such a great time, this was a fantastic evening that we won't forget in a hurry.

1 comment: